Subscribe
faceook icon
Add to del.icio.us

8/8/07

Tattoo? Who Me?


No, I am not going through a post-gastric bypass crisis. I love art and I love my new life. I have never wanted a tattoo just for a tattoo's sake. But I have started to think about it in the last few years. I never wanted to attempt it because any weight loss might make it eventually look...uh, weird. So now here's the idea. I am Irish and proud to be Irish. I have a real connection to my ancestors so something celtic is what I have in mind. Then it came to me: a Celtic Phoenix.

Wikipedia says this about the Myth Of The Phoenix: "The phoenix is a bird with beautiful gold and red plumage. At the end of its life-cycle the phoenix builds itself a nest of cinnamon twigs that it then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix arises. The bird was also said to regenerate when hurt or wounded by a foe, thus being almost immortal -a symbol of fire and divinity.

I feel like a Phoenix. Up from the ashes of my former life, rebuilding a new, better life. Feeling stronger and regenerated by the very journey I have walked.

So, I contacted the new TLC show: LA INK with tattoo artist, Kat Von D. She is an awesome artist.
I thought my story might make for good tv, and I could get a cool tattoo out of it if they pick me! So, I am going to submit my story and see what happens!
Now, comes the inevitable question: WHERE TO GET IT? I have quite a bit of loose skin on my upper arms, butt and legs---so that's out of the question. Maybe on my shoulder/upper back.

5 comments:

Susy on 7:11 AM said...

Kool. Good idea. I am going to get another one for my 40 birthday coming up. Still thinking on it and where to put the next one too. I got one at 35 for my b-day so why not at 40 too... I like the back idea, but then I can't see it... ??? Thanks for checking in with me yesterday, your both just great to me. Love you! Susy

Trenting on 4:34 PM said...

Awesome blog and congrats you are an inspiration and no doubt an incredible woman/mom/wife

The tat?: lower middle back, that way if you no longer love it, it's not visible to the rest of the world and you can't see it either..

Carrie on 10:49 AM said...

I got my tattoo on my arm. I have loose skin there too, but who cares. I just need to lift some weights. Keep us posted on the tattoo! Can I come with just to meet Kat? She's a hottie! I want to get another tattoo too!
-Carrie

Anonymous said...

Just found your journal.

I'm a wls girl myself who lost 170 and got my "celebrating life" tattoo on my shoulder blade. That location worked great for someone in our situation.
My artist happened to be Hannah from the show LA ink from when she was in chicago. She's fantastic. Small world.
Good luck!

Turtle_gurl on 10:38 PM said...

I love that show.. I don't recommend the lower back, I have one there and it was sheer torture. To this day i don't know how I did it. What about between your shoulder blades below the neck so people can see it when you race or run?