Subscribe
faceook icon
Add to del.icio.us

6/17/07

What Other People Think Of Me Is None Of My Business


This seems like a simple statement, but really think about it: "What other people think of me is none of my business." (Of course, I add the tag.."unless they make it my business." This statement could have saved me alot of heartache over the years. I cared so much what strangers thought of me. I walked around in complete embarrassment. Kind of like I was silently saying, "I am sorry my fat bothers you." or "I know, I am fat. I get it." It was such a layer of self protection that it brings me to tears to think of it. How much time was wasted in my life doing this?
I know alot of larger people who are outwardly confident and almost brash in their self acceptance of their obesity. Yet, I have yet to meet one person who really, deep in their soul, prefers being fat. When they quiet the loud, accept-me-as-I-am talk, they are just like me. Sad that my life is/was so limited by my weight.
So, now I practice this mantra: What other people think of me is none of my business.

And that seems to quiet the negative self talk for that moment. Another tool in my new toolbox.

1 comments:

Jill on 2:38 PM said...

I really like this! I was a push over when I was fat but isn't it interesting that you can be one way or another, either a shy mouse or a brash bull. :o)

I have heard people say they are fine with their weight, I was one of them for a long time, but I was also in denial.