Subscribe
faceook icon
Add to del.icio.us

9/28/05

Entrepreneur of my own life


I have a huge decision to make. Just recently I decided to get gastric bypass surgery. Now I am deciding between to procedures: The Roux-en-Y (RNY) surgery - the "gold standard" of current weight loss surgeries or the Mini Gastric Bypass (MGB). MGB is a modified version of an well established surgery that creates a fast effective WLS, usually in 30 minutes. Less surgery time, less healing time, and equal the results. I am leaning toward the MGB. Why, you ask? Why not go with all the doctors who will only recommend the RNY? Or the insurance companies who will only pay for RNY if they pay at all?

Well, let me tell you that first: I had to come to the conclusion that I do not play by others' rules. I never have thrived in that environment. My husband and I created a business out of nothing based on the fact that I announced one day that "I AM NEVER GOING TO WORK FOR ANOTHER PERSON AGAIN!" and you know what?
Neither of us ever did again. Sometimes you just have to make a stand. And sometimes that stand has to be with yourself!

The RNY is widely done now. Widely accepted. The MGB is not. So I battled with this in my head for awhile. Until I reviewed my life. Despite the fact that I was mostly a "good girl" growing up; I never thrived in an environment that was too boxed in. I was creative and I was taught to have opinions and learn how to back them up. I was taught to be an entrepreneur.

The dictionary defines entrepreneur as:
A person who organizes, operates, and assumes the risk for a business venture.
"organizes, operates and assumes the risk"! That makes me the entrepreneur of MY OWN LIFE. One definition also defines it as: One that creates, founds, or originates. That is me to a "T".


At 42, I am happily married and have a wonderful life. I am old enough to recall embarrassing lyrics from songs that some grown adults have never heard of. But I deserve even better, an even better life. I am one of those people who over-eat, yes. But binge? No. My husband said that if the fates were fair, I would be 140 lbs and he would be 300 (comparing our eating habits).

I am not going to whine, or bemoan my fate. But I do understand that I can do something to give myself MORE of a life. Surgery is hard, scary, painful and risky. But so is living trapped in a body that does not ever give me options. For example, I rarely CHOOSE where to sit in a room. I scan the room for chairs that will hold me. I am a prisoner in this body, and I am about to reprieve my life sentence.

0 comments: